11 November 2012

Don Calamar




Today honoring, remembering Don Calamar today, a Combat photographer and Silver Medalist who survived the Invasion of Normandy. Don, was an influence; my first photography/photojournalist instructor  and sometimes father figure . I remember  his soft spoken manner; who taught more by example and his actions. His later years were devoted to family, photography instruction, alternative energy, and peace activism. I remember one day having dinner with he and his wife Pat. They were so excited about the meal they had prepared for me using the solar cooker they had constructed in their garden backyard. Don was one of the founding members of Santa Barbara Veterans for Peace  and Arlington West.
I am so very grateful to have had a person like Don in my life, especially as a guiding force in my photojournalism career. Thank you for reading this tribute; a testimony to how one life can make a big difference in the lives of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment